Sunday, April 24, 2011

Fantomas unmasked


At the risk of giving short shrift to literally everything else on Earth, there are few things cooler than Fantomas. How cool is he? So cool that, even when he is placed at the center of a somewhat fluffy French adventure comedy, he still retains his awesomeness. Andre Hunebelle's 1964 Fantomas is just such a film, and, given that this year marks the French master criminal's 100th birthday, I thought it deserved my undivided attention. Read my full review, just posted over at Teleport City.

3 comments:

Radio Schmaydio said...

I love sixties blue-faced Fantomas! I am hoping that this decade heralds the return of the arch-fiend with a new slate of Fantomas, Diabolik, Fu Manchu and Dr. Mabuse movies.

Todd said...

Well, the good news is that Christophe Gans -- director of Brotherhood of the Wolf and Silent Hill -- is working on a new Fantomas film starring Vincent Cassel and Jean Reno as we speak.

memsaab said...

I need to see this, only to compare with the dubious Saazish of course :D