Friday, August 1, 2008

Gaaaaa!

I might talk a good game, but I'm neither a man's-man nor a risk-taker. If I was, I imagine that I'd sit around with other man's-men and, between grunting appreciatively at videos of women in bikinis firing automatic weapons, occasionally toss out random challenges like, "Hey, bro, I'll put this cigar out in my nostril if you open that canned ham with your face". Because isn't that what being a man's-man is all about -- constantly having to prove your manliness by way of blindingly pointless and potentially self-harming physical stunts?

I wouldn't know, really. Because, you see, I'm a movie geek, and movie geeks are more likely to toss out challenges like, "Hey, I will watch Jaani Dushman: Ek Anokhi Kahani, reputedly the worst Bollywood movie ever made, if you will watch Papi Gudia, a 1990s Bollywood remake of Child's Play featuring Karisma Kapoor in a series of musical numbers that are probably among the most unpleasant and unendurable ever committed to film." You see, watching these films is basically the movie geek's equivalent of Jackass.

Anyway, it is just such a proposition that I made to Houseinrlyeh over at The Horror!? a couple of weeks ago. And now -- with fresh, steaming copies of Jaani Dushman: Ek Anokhi Kahani and Papi Gudia arriving on our respective doorsteps with eerie simultaneity earlier this week -- it's time to throw down. All I can say is: Mommy!

6 comments:

Beth Loves Bollywood said...

Can I be the one to wave the starting scarf, or will I have passed out from all the testosterone already?

houseinrlyeh aka Denis said...

The special movie geek testosterone is not all that overwhelming, I heard. *g*
Anyway, Sunday is the day here in sunny Germany.
I'm not afraid at all. No. Help?

Todd said...

It's Testosteroni(TM), the testosterone that's safe for kids!

Sunday it is for me, as well. I'm gonna also try to squeeze in a viewing of the original cut of the German science fiction film Der Schweigende Stern, which I'm feeling -- wait, what's the opposite of dread? -- oh, yeah, excited about. I sometimes forget...

houseinrlyeh aka Denis said...

I have some vague memories of "Der Schweigende Stern" from my childhood. I think I found it boring, which probably means Godzilla didn't make an appearance in it.

Todd said...

I grew up on the ideologically-scrubbed U.S. cut of the film, First Spaceship on Venus. It is a bit stately in pace, but visually stunning. I'm very curious to see the original DEFA version with all of its political content intact.

houseinrlyeh aka Denis said...

That should at least be interesting.