Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Have you seen me?





I'm the toothless, disconcertingly skeletal guy who appears in the 1970s Thai movies Tone and Jong-arng Payong. Though I bring joy to my fellows with my jaunty singing, my identity remains a mystery to those farang who blog about vintage Thai cinema. Even Wise Kwai doesn't know who I am. Todd would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who knows my name... and exactly what my whole deal is. Of course, doing so won't win you any prizes -- because, honestly, has the world really gotten to the point where someone deserves a prize just for knowing who some toothless guy from an old Thai movie is? Please!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Todd! :D

I'll ask me step-mom (who is Thai). She might know.

Wise Kwai said...

I've put out a call for help too.

Todd said...

Thanks, guys. Given that this fellow's screen appearances seem to center around him being a singer and all, I'm thinking, best case scenario: albums!

Wise Kwai said...

Comment left by reader Tao says he's stage name is SangTong SeeSai, meaning, literally, Ugly as sin.

I'm going to try for that in Thai, and that might reveal his real name and a bit more about him.

Todd said...

Thanks, Wise Kwai! I'll look forward to hearing more if you find it.

Wise Kwai said...

A reader posted a link to the Thai Wikipedia article about Sang Tong (สังข์ทอง สีใส), plus a clip of one of his big opening song-and-dance number from Tone.